Re: Software RAID blocks

	Hi.

On Sun, Jan 13, 2019 at 01:20:50PM +0100, Tom Bachreier wrote:

> Hi Reco!
>
> Jan 13, 2019, 12:46 PM by recoverym4n@enotuniq.net:
>
> > On Sun, Jan 13, 2019 at 12:27:19PM +0100, Tom Bachreier wrote:
> >
> >> TLDR;
> >> My /home on dmcrypt -> software Raid5 blocks irregular usually without
> >> any error messages.
> >>
> >> I can get it going again with "fdisk -l /dev/sdx".
> >>
> >> Do you have an ideas how I can debug this issue further? Is it a dmcrypt,
> >> a dm-softraid or a hardware issue?
> >>

> > Let's start with something uncommon:
> >
> > for x in /dev/sd{b..f}; do
> >  smartctl -l scterc $x
> >  hdparm -J $x
> > done
>
> Thanks for your suggestions.

My suspicion is that either some/all HDDs' firmware or disk controller
puts drive(s) in sleep mode.

> hdparm seems OK. Keep in mind only sdc and sdf ar WD drives.

Since you have Seagates, please check them with 'hdparm -Z'.
Unsure about that Toshiba drive, though.

That looks good, though:

> /dev/sdc:
> wdidle3      = disabled
>
> /dev/sdf:
> wdidle3      = disabled

I'd be wary of including those into the RAID (a single bad block can
paralyze your whole RAID):

> And here comes the SCT state:
>
> DISK: /dev/sdc
> SCT Error Recovery Control command not supported
>

> DISK: /dev/sde
> SCT Error Recovery Control command not supported

And I'd enable it for sdd.

Reco