Re: it's very foolish to force user to install security update

On Sat 05 Jan 2019 at 03:42:03 (+0000), Long Wind wrote:
> On Saturday, January 5, 2019 11:15 AM, David Wright <deblis@lionunicorn.co.uk> wrote:
> >  On Sat 05 Jan 2019 at 03:01:49 (+0000), Long Wind wrote:
> > > i'm waiting jessie installer to download kernel from security.debian.org, file size is 34.1M, it may take more than 2 hours
> > > jessie installer has just downloaded kernel from a mirror i choose, it's fast, but security.debian.org is slow
> > > early debian installer allow user to choose whether to install security update
> > > i hope debian developer can read this message
> >
> > Two things. 1. You can choose whether you want security updates at
> > install time. (There may be a default value unless you use expert
> > mode.) You can comment the security line(s) in /etc/apt/sources.list
> > any time you like.
> >
> > 2. You can ^C out of the upgrade process any time you like. When you
> > decide to repeat it, apt will automatically carry on downloading from
> > where it was with no waste of time/bandwidth.
>
> Thanks!
> 1) i've just opened a console, /etc/apt doesn't exist

The last sentence of (1) applies once you have a Debian system,
not to the installer itself. If you are impatient, you will find
/etc/apt/sources.list at /target/etc/apt/sources.list during the
actual installation because /target is where the future system is
built.

> 2) download is complete now, i can't test if Ctrl+C work

Again, (2) concerns the upgrade process, ie on the Debian
system, not the Debian installer. To affect the latter, you
have to have selected the installer's own option in one of
the "Configure the package manager" dialogue screens.

It wasn't clear to me that you were complaining only about the
installation process, rather than security updates in general.
Once you're running your installed system, the slowness of
downloading shouldn't be so much of a problem as you can be
doing other things on the system in the meantime.

Unfortunately, for someone with only one machine, the installation
can get rather tedious. I suppose one could always pass the time by
opening a shell on VC2 and poking around in /target to see if
there's anything of interest while the system builds up.

Cheers,
David.