Re: Multitasking, through Multiple Text Windows

On 2019-01-05, Kenneth Parker <sea7kenp@gmail.com> wrote:

> The reason I am bringing this up now, is that I tried this on Stretch, with
> no Graphical Environment, only to have the Music (playing, through the play
> command /dev/tty3)  *STOP*  *COLD*  when I used alt-F4 to switch
> perspective (say, to /dev/tty4!)

Are you using the pulseaudio sound server? If so, have you explored
whether pulse (in default per-user config mode) could be the culprit (it
comes in a solid second in a number of blame games, after Lennart's
brain child)?

Although it is ill-advised, it may be necessary to run it in system-wide
mode for your use case. Or put yourself in the audio group. Or
something.

I haven't taken the time to try to reproduce your problem here. I can
report, however, that switching ttys entails no noticeable delay on this
up-to-date Stretch machine.

Good luck.