Re: Formatting a 32G or 16G SD card?

On 2019-01-05, rhkramer@gmail.com <rhkramer@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Friday, January 04, 2019 08:36:59 AM Curt wrote:
>> On 2019-01-04, Jonathan Dowland <jmtd@debian.org> wrote:
>
>> > Perhaps you could consider writing a patch for the man page.
>>
>>  -I  It is typical for fixed disk devices to be partitioned so, by default,
>> you are not permitted to  create  a filesystem across the entire device.
>> mkfs.fat will complain and tell you that it refuses to work.  This is
>> different when using MO disks.  One doesn't always need  parti‐ tions on
>> MO disks.  The filesystem can go directly to the whole disk.  Under other
>> OSes this is known as the 'superfloppy' format.  This switch will force
>> mkfs.fat to work properly.
>>
>> I think PH's inference not too arduous from the above, frankly.
>>
>> But how about:
>>
>>   -I When using MO disks, where partitions aren't always required, modifies
>>      mkfs.fat's default behavior, allowing it to write the filesystem
>> across the entire, unpartitioned device (called 'superfloppy' format under
>> some other OSes).
>
> From the peanut gallery, that (the second) looks good to me, but I missed
> something in the thread -- does MO refer to magneto-optical disks?

Right. Unfortunately, now we've been informed by PH that not only is the
previous, more verbose version less clear but that it is also wrong,
which makes the newer version merely more clearly and succinctly wrong,
I guess.

Back to the drawing board (I was working simply to improve clarity
without the knowledge to correct inaccuracy)!