Re: Scanner not working

Andrew Wood wrote:
> I have a long standing problem with using my scanner (HP ScanJet 5300)
> under Debian using either Simple Scan or gscantopdf.
> [...]
> Any suggestions on how I might identify what the problem is?

You could install the newbiedoc package.
Section 5, 'Help with multimedia in Debian', has a section called
'How to install a scanner in Debian GNU-Linux using Sane'.
It offers step-by-step installation instructions, checking every step.
It helped me install my HP ScanJet 5200C.
It works fine in both stretch and buster.