Re: Switching from PS/2 keyboard and mouse connection to (one) USB connection?

On 1/2/19 4:47 PM, rhkramer@gmail.com wrote:
Background: I currently have two computers connected to my keyboard, mouse,
and display via a KVM switch -- the KVM switch uses PS/2 connections for the
mouse and keyboard.

One of the connected computers (running Jessie) uses a PS/2 to USB cable
adapter to a USB port to interface to the KVM switch.

The other computer (running Wheezy) uses the PS/2 cables from the KVM to
connect to the computer.

I soon want to set up a 3rd computer to install stretch, and, eventually, take
the Wheezy computer out of service, but, in the meantime, I want to have 3
computers connected to my keyboard, mouse, and display and will need to buy a
4 way KVM switch.

The less expensive KVM switches nowadays use USB connections for the mouse and
keyboard (and then to the computers).

The Question:  Will it be straightforward to convert the Wheezy machine (which
has USB ports) to use a USB port instead of the PS/2 ports to connect the
mouse and keyboard (via the KVM switch) -- is it as simple as shutting the
computer down, changing the cables, and rebooting, or is it more involved.

If it is more complicated, what would I have to do?

I tried several KVM switches before settling on an IOGEAR GCS78. Back then, PS/2 keyboards, PS/2 mice, and VGA monitors dominated desktops and servers. I needed a USB to PS/2 adapter for my laptop. Since then, newer machines have required various adapters. I use IOGEAR GUC100KM and GUC10KM USB to PS/2 adapters, Intel DVI-I to VGA adapters included with desktop motherboards and StarTech DVIVGAMFBK adapters, StarTech DP2VGA2 adapters, and Apple Thunderbolt to VGA adapters. The Intel desktops and Apple MacBook seem to work, but the old Dell Inspiron E1505 laptop has issues requiring me to log in via the laptop, cold reset the USB to PS/2 adapter, and then connect to the KVM, and the PS/2 ports on the new Dell PowerEdge T30 are incompatible, requiring me to use a USB to PS/2 adapter.

So, but be prepared to buy extra, do a lot of testing, and return stuff that doesn't work.

David