Re: hdparm ignoring spindown_time in config when called with by-id symlink

	Hi.

On Tue, Jan 01, 2019 at 08:39:13PM +0100, Andrea Borgia wrote:
> My PC has two disks, a NVME for Debian/testing and an old 2.5 drive for an OS that shall remain nameless :)
>
> Since the 2.5 disc isn't at all used by Linux, I figured I might as well set a very aggressive spindown time of, say, 30s and I wrote this in hdparm.conf:
>
> Then I tried checking whether hdparm would work when run via udev, with the following command:
> DEVNAME=/dev/disk/by-id/ata-Hitachi_HTS543225A7A384____E2024242DBNGWJ_ /lib/udev/hdparm  >> /tmp/hdparm.log 2>&1
> (suggestion taken from: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/49841690/hdparm-conf-settings-dont-seem-to-run-at-boot)

What about this:

DEVNAME=/dev/disk/by-id/ata-Hitachi_HTS543225A7A384____E2024242DBNGWJ_ \
sh -x /lib/udev/hdparm  >> /tmp/hdparm.log 2>&1

> Now, the questions:
> 1) am I wrong in using the by-id link to achieve a stable configuration?

You might get a race here. by-id symlinks are created by udev, so it's
possible to call hdparm udev script before actual symlink creation.

> 2) am I wrong in testing with the symlink instead of the real device name?

I'd rather remove this HDD via /sys interface as it's unused.

> 3) if not, should I file a bug on hdparm?

I've tried to reproduce your problem, but 'sh -x' invocation with your
configuration file got me this:

/sbin/hdparm -B1 -S6 \
/dev/disk/by-id/ata-Hitachi_HTS543225A7A384____E2024242DBNGWJ_

I suspect that your problem cannot be explained by hdparm bug.

Reco