Re: [OT] scanned files are large in size

On Tue, Jan 01, 2019 at 10:41:06PM -0500, kamaraju kusumanchi wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 1, 2019 at 1:40 PM <tomas@tuxteam.de> wrote:

[...]

> > OTOH, CCITT is lossless and JPEG lossy ;-)
> >
> ok, thanks.

But note that Anders observed that the larger files are actually
the JPEGs (somewhat to my surprise). A possible explanation would
be that the CCITT loses the grayscale information, as Thomas observed
(CCITT is bitonal), but then you should be able to see a difference
between both images.

In any case, if the scanners insist on producing PDFs, you'll have
to extract the images, convert them and, if necessary, repack them
again as PDFs. For an one-off job, the Gimp seems just about right;
if you want to automate it, I'd try with the ImageMagick suite, but
perhaps there are folks around who have more experience in those
things.

And next time, try to find a scanner which provides you with a raw
image. Wrapping images in PDFs is... not elegant.

Cheers
-- tomás