Re: Archiving content of a directory on a DVD-R.

*	From: Greg Wooledge <wooledg@eeg.ccf.org>
*	Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2018 17:14:13 -0500
> Just put all the commands in one script, for example:
>
> #!/bin/sh
> backup1 &&
> backup2 &&
> backup3

I was afraid you meant that.  =8~)  My three scripts are executed
interactively. To my knowledge there can be only one script in a file.
=8~|  By defining chell functions, all three are in .bashrc.  =8~)

> Here's the backup script I use at home, ...

OK, my first stage follows.  ~/MY/ is an SD card.  This Backup is
executed when I finish editing something or finish enough editing that
I wouldn't want to retype it after the flash store fails.  It merely
syncs from ~/MY/ into ~/MY0.Bak or, if executed with any parameter, to
~/MY1.Bak.  Then it reports the size of MailMessages and the current size
of the backup.  Subdirectories, logs, voice messages, installer archives
and similar non-essential data are excluded.  Definitely more
primitive than your backup.  Comments welcome of course.

The further two functions put the backup on a DVD-R.  Done once per
week or less depending on competing "essential" work, fatigue & etc.  Can
discuss these stages 2 and 3 later.

Thanks,                         ... Peter E.

================================
Backup() { \
 if [ $# -gt 1 ]; then
   echo "Too many arguments.";
 else
   echo "0 or 1 arguments are OK.";
   if [ $# -eq 0 ]; then
     echo "0 arguments is OK.";
     destination=~/MY0.Bak;
     echo "destination is $destination.";
   else
     echo "1 argument is OK.";
     destination=~/MY1.Bak;
     echo "destination is $destination.";
   fi;
     echo "Executing rsync.";
     rsync \
      --exclude "*/" \
      --exclude='AOS*' \
      --exclude='Trap*' \
      --exclude='*.WAV' \
      --exclude='.aoshome' \
      --exclude "lost+found" \
      --exclude='*.Bak' \
      --exclude='*.bundle' \
      --exclude='*.iso' \
      --exclude='*.mp3' \
      --exclude='*.mp4' \
      --exclude='pe' \
      --exclude='*.sig' \
      --exclude='*.webm' \
      --exclude='*.zd' \
      --exclude='*.zip' \
      --exclude='*Libre*' \
      --exclude='*Linux*' \
      --exclude='Configuration.XML' \
      --exclude='Oberon*Fnt' \
      --exclude='Oberon.Text' \
      -auv /home/peter/MY/* $destination ;
     /bin/ls -ld ~/MY/MailMessages;
     printf "du -s $destination gives ";
     du -s $destination;
  fi;
}

--
Message composed and transmitted by software designed to avoid the
need, overhead and vulnerability of antivirus software.

123456789 123456789 123456789 123456789 123456789 123456789 123456789
Tel: +1 360 639 0202                                  +1
http://easthope.ca/Peter.html              Bcc: peter at easthope. ca