Re: Advice on mailing list software -- special requirements

On Tuesday 30 October 2018 13:31:05 Greg Wooledge wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 30, 2018 at 01:27:19PM -0400, Celejar wrote:
> > Probably better:
> >
> > http://pyropus.ca/software/getmail/
> > https://packages.debian.org/sid/getmail
> > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Getmail
> > http://pyropus.ca/software/getmail/faq.html#faq-about-why
>
> Interesting.  I haven't used fetchmail in a *long* time (think
> dial-up), so I wasn't aware of the issues in that FAQ.

As a long term, probably 15+ years user of fetchmail, I've never found it
hard to configure, and the only incoming I didn't get was what procmail,
as the mda agent didn't like from clamav, even spam comes on in and
kmail sorts it to a spam directory. That which is virii, procmail puts
in /var/spool/virii instead of delivering it to me.

As a long term, 20 years or so, use of an isp who used qmail, by djb, I
was rather put off by its instant acceptance of what was patently spam,
and finally switching because the place was sold and I lost that account
since I'd been retired 13 years already, I switched to my isp's dovecot
server, and 99% of the spam disappeared. Their install of dovecot
includes its also being a pop3 server, but because 99% of Shentels users
are rigged for imap, fetchmails ability to delete a successfully
transferred email has been defaulted to off. But I can and do log in
about daily and clean it out with FF.

If I was to switch to getmail, would getmail then be able to delete a
fetched email from this dovecot server which I am currently accessing as
a pop3 client.

Found the docs, s/b well explained there. But the initial setup would be
a bunch easier if it was all printed out so I had the step by step in
hand. Can FF do a decent job of the html versions?  Or do I need to
extract the .gz's and load them into geany for conversion to paper
copies?

Many Thanks to anyone familiar with this.

--
Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)