Re: Online copies of textinfo content available?

On Friday 26 October 2018 10:41:54 Richard Owlett wrote:

> Many man pages end with:
> > The full documentation for Ed is maintained as a Texinfo manual. If
> > the info > and XYZ programs are properly installed at your site, the
> > command
> >
> >     info XYZ
> >
> > should give you access to the complete manual.

But one never knows what the next keypress will do, so anyplace it
says "info" sub it to be "pinfo" which shows you the same data, but has
a sensible interface.

> I have problems with that.

Figures, its Richard  O. :)

> 1. I don't want to install unneeded packages just to find out whether
> or not the package might be useful.
> 2. The info output has an annoying format. A browser acceptable format
>     {plain text fine --  HTML *NOT* needed} is MUCH more functional.

Agreed, a good man page is the best. I've no clue why there seems to be
an aversion to a man page that has to be scrolled to read it all. All of
us have up/down arrows on our keyboards, and 99% have a mouse wheel, so
there is no excuse that holds water to not put it all in the man
page. "man bash" if you man page authors want to see what a real man
page looks like.

--
Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)