Where was the discussion of GNOME 3 shipping as the default desktop?

Apologies for the baity title but its very literal.

where was it? Google is giving me very poor results, I assume it was done over mailing list but I'm not even sure where to start lookin. All I can figure was that it was sometime around Jessie and that XFCE was the previous desktop. I'm not SUPER interested in Debating why it should/should not be (and i'd advice starting another thread for that if you want to shout about how much you hate/love GNOME), I just wanted to see the reasoning behind the decision.