Re: Disable and Enable Screensaver via Bash Script

On Mon, Oct 15, 2018 at 11:51:48PM +0000, Matthew Crews wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Currently I am running Stretch with XFCE (window manager is XFWM4). I
> presently use Xscreensaver for my screen saver. Caffeine indicator
> doesn't work with XFCE as far as I've been able to tell, so if I want to
> temporarily disable the screensaver I need to do so manually, and
> re-enable it manually.
>
> I'm wondering, is there a way to perform this feature with a bash
> script? What I'm looking for is a bash script that does the following,
> in sequence:
>
> 1. Disable Xscreensaver
> 2. Run a given application
> 3. When the application closes, re-enable Xscreensaver

"One" way to do it would be to issue periodically "xscreensaver-command -deactivate"
while your application is running [1].

Here [2] is a practical example, for video players.

Enjoy

[1] https://www.jwz.org/xscreensaver/man3.html
[2] https://www.jwz.org/xscreensaver/faq.html#dvd
-- tomás