Re: something wrong with audio

On Wed, 10 Oct 2018 12:00:20 +0000 (UTC)
Curt <curty@free.fr> wrote:

(...)
> > /dev/dsp surely exists in case the snd-pcm-oss driver module is
> > loaded.
>
> In this very case, in fact, according to the OP's lsmod list, so, right.
>
> Of course, at the same time we are obliged to note gandering at his
> module list that he's loading Alsa modules, too.
>
> IOW he'd loading both oss and Alsa modules simultaneously (I think
> I'm repeating myself).

snd-pcm-oss *is* an alsa module, you won't get anywhere with that without

> https://wiki.debian.org/ALSA#ALSA_and_OSS
>
>  If you don't unload all OSS modules then ALSA modules will not be able
>  to initialise (or work properly) because the OSS driver will be futzing
>  with the sound hardware that the ALSA driver needs to control. If you
>  see a message about "sound card not detected" and you are sure you have
>  the right ALSA driver, the presence of an OSS module could be the
>  reason.
>
> Maybe this, as they say in French, explains that. Or maybe not. I dunno.

No, this refers to the old OSS sound drivers which I think today are no
longer available in the linux kernel. With snd-pcm-oss you can use
applications which only support the OSS /dev/dsp interface without
breaking support for regular ALSA apps.

Regards

Michael

Sometimes a feeling is all we humans have to go on.
		-- Kirk, "A Taste of Armageddon", stardate 3193.9