Re: File with weird permissions, impossible to delete

On 12/09/2018 00:59, Greg Wooledge wrote:
On Tue, Sep 11, 2018 at 01:52:15PM +0200, Pétùr wrote:
I have some files, with weird permissions:
# ls -la
d-wS--S--T 2 1061270772 2605320832  4096 oct.   7  2412 index.html
Obvious file system corruption.  Unmount, fsck, re-mount, and then
be prepared to restore the data from your last good backup if/when
the fsck failed to repair everything.

I would also use journalctl to look for any i/o errors on the affected device.

What hardware and kernel and filesystem? ext4 filesystem corruption is rare and usually suggests a hardware fault.

I would run a full hardware test, including CPU and RAM, and a long SMART test on the storage if it is capable. SMART self-tests will not usually detect drive data transmission errors caused by cable problems, but the SMART logs should list the CRC error count which can indicate unreliable cables or controller connectors.

I would first identify the *cause* and replace all unreliable hardware before bothering to restore from backup. If you have noticed some corruption, you likely also have some unnoticed corruption. Continuing to use unreliable hardware wastes your time and endangers your data.

Kind regards,

--
Ben Caradoc-Davies <ben@transient.nz>
Director