Re: Unable to install .iso's in virtualbox, but why?

On Sun, 09 Sep 2018 15:20:14 +0100
Sharon Kimble <boudiccas@skimble.plus.com> wrote:

> I'm having great difficulty in getting virtualbox running. every time
> that I try to install an iso it fails and shows this in a pop-up -

> Failed to open a session for the virtual machine Debian-64.
>
> VT-x is disabled in the BIOS for all CPU modes
> (VERR_VMX_MSR_ALL_VMX_DISABLED).
>
> Result Code: NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005) Component: ConsoleWrap
> Interface: IConsole {872da645-4a9b-1727-bee2-5585105b9eed}
>
> I've had a look at the bios setup and I can't see anywhere that
> mentions 'vt-x'.
>
> According to dmidecode this is my bios -
>
> [big snip]
>
> How can I enable 'VT-x' then please so that I can run successfully
> virtual machines on this box please?

Check your particular virtual machine settings in VirtualBox's VM
Manager -- System -> Acceleration -- that both hardware accelerations
options, VT-x/AMD-V and Nested Paging, are enabled. If they are
already enabled, check your motherboard BIOS' CPU settings for
similar options.

Now download and read/study VirtualBox's VERY complete user manual.
Yes! I really do mean read the entire fucking manual, cover to cover.
It's the only reference I've ever needed in the dozen or so years I've
been using VirtualBox.  It's Troubleshooting Section is particularly
useful.