Re: Gnome flooding syslog

	Hi.

On Sat, Sep 08, 2018 at 12:10:26PM -0400, Jim Popovitch wrote:
> How do I prevent/stop Gnome trivial errors from flooding syslog?

By configuring your journald and syslog correctly.
For instance, this little snippet:

$ cat /etc/systemd/journald.conf.d/lessspam.conf
[Journal]
MaxLevelSyslog=info

decreases the amount of journald entries by an order of magnitude.

This one:

$ cat /etc/rsyslog.d/systemd-spam.conf
:syslogtag, startswith, "gnome-" stop

sends all GNOME-related syslog entries to where they belong, i.e.
/dev/null.

> Simply resizing gnome-terminal yields dozens (hundreds?) of log entries like:
>
>    gnome-terminal-[1849]: Allocating size to GtkScrollbar 0x5616bb780720 without
>    calling gtk_widget_get_preferred_width/height(). How does the code know the
>    size to allocate?

Of course, fixing the offending program would be right way of doing
this, but it's a GNOME program we're talking about. And GNOME programs
are known for this kind of spam.

Reco