Re: Bash-Problem with cursor position after calling a function with READLINE_LINE

On 2018-09-07 11:07, Stefan Krusche wrote:
Hallo Norbert,

Am Donnerstag, 6. September 2018 schrieb Norbert Gruener:
Hi all,

   bind -x '"\eOP":"_bash_man"'        # F1 man <command>

The script »_bash_man« looks like (it is simplified only for test reasons)

   echo "${READLINE_LINE}"

I tried exactly that and it seems to work. I put only that one line in
a script,
assigned the F1 key with bind to it and it outputs just the string I typed
before when I hit F1 like intended. No problems with cursor movements,
backspace and any other command line editing.

I'm on Devuan ascii and run GNU bash, Version 4.4.12(1)-release
(x86_64-pc-linux-gnu)

   bash^[[D^[[C^[[B^[[A

This reminds me of programs (ed, rcs, telnet etc.) which don't use readline and have less command line editing capabilities. Backspace should work, though.

Had something similar with vi a while back.
put
"set nocompatible
set backspace=indent,eol,start"

or something