Re: sound card problem

On 9/5/18, deloptes <deloptes@gmail.com> wrote:
> Long Wind wrote:
>
>> Thank deloptes!
>>
>> i'm unable to find manual for motherboardand i browse thru BIOS menu,
>> unable to find related option
>
> you hear sound even when you turn off and unplug your computer?

That's what I'm imagining from the description, too. Sounds like all
power's off to the computer... so I'm imagining that...

The card doesn't need "power" to work? Apparently no. This is the
first time I've ever thought about that aspect. That's a constant
checkpoint for things like those CHEAP $5 external hard drive adapters
that have no enclosures, but it's never been a factor for
PCI'ish/plugs into the motherboard type hardware.

Is there some kind of direct wiring going on between the linein and
lineout points? Yeah, I know, never mind on that one. There has to be
something like that for it to work even when the power switch is on.
Something goes in and can only go back out if there is an unbroken
line of connectivity somehow within the product. :)

Those thoughts are coming from sitting here reading Long Wind's
description while knowing that my speakers power on and off separate
from the computer. Wish I had some way to (kicks 'n' giggles) test the
same to see if mine duplicates the result.

Afterthought: This is a stretch of the imagination, YES, but........

Is there any way it could be seen as an exploitable vulnerability
where it's possible to interact within the computer even when it's
turned off completely?

Absolute worse, hopefully totally impossible scenario would be that
the boogeyman burglar busts into your office one night, plants some
bad mojo on that PCI card, you boot up your computer the next morning,
and off that bad mojo goes running throughout the rest of the internal
workings...

Yes, I do understand that the card would have to be capable of certain
[tasks]. If that card's not capable, maybe others are?

> input/output might be shortened on the board - why would you look at BIOS?

Hail Mary pass...? Apparently because it's that annoying a (dis)feature? :)

Cindy :)
--
Cindy-Sue Causey

* runs with duct tape *