Re: mailing list vs "the futur"

Hi,

Jonathan Dowland wrote:
> Many also permit the changing of the Subject: field when the topic has
> wandered away from the original value.  It would be a great service to
> many of one's fellow mailing list participants if more people would take
> advantage of that.

In general i agree.
But this thread in particular started already without original value
(auld lang syne ...)

Gene Hesket wrote:
> FTP was in common use by my Amiga back in the early 90's, so I'd guess
> its probably even in AT&T's unix in the 80's.

  https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc959
has a section "2.1 History" near the start and an appendix III at the
very end. Especially the dates in the appendix give juvenile memories.

It seems that this document of 1985 is still the base definition, which
got expanded by later add-ons. (See its "Updated by:" list at the start.)

Have a nice day :)

Thomas