Re: mailing list vs "the futur"

On Thu, Aug 30, 2018 at 01:35:35PM -0000, Dan Purgert wrote:
> [*] Please you one last holdout using our ancient FTP service, let's
> move to the 21st century and use SFTP, please?

Last week, we decommissioned an ancient server[1] and then got a call
two days later from an academic complaining that his web site had
disappeared.  One of my predecessors had set him up with an arrangement
where he FTPed his files to this ancient server, then the actual web
host ran a daily cron job to scp files into production.

We somehow managed to convince him that the easiest solution would be
for him to use SFTP directly to the web server instead, and thus my
last FTP user fell.

Being rid of that protocol felt even better than I had anticipated.

[1] I don't know how old it was exactly - it was here before I started -
but it was running a version of Red Hat that was EOLed over a decade
ago.

--
Dave Sherohman