Re: USB2 or 3 WiFi dual band adapters

On 12/08/18 20:55, Curt wrote:
I looked at the TP-LINK TL-WN722N on Amazon.fr suggested by another
poster (whom I think was Ben if memory serves, which is increasingly not
exactly the case), but had trouble understanding which of the multiple
versions of the device contained the desired chipset (some commenters
claimed the device they bought did not work out of the box with their
Linux distribution). I guess my question would be (if I was in the
business of asking questions): how can you be assured when purchasing a
wireless usb dongle what chipset is lodged within the device?

You must check the full version as the v2 has a different chipset (see complaints in the Amazon comments). The original is Atheros, the v2 is Realtek:

Atheros: https://wikidevi.com/wiki/TP-LINK_TL-WN722N
Realtek: https://wikidevi.com/wiki/TP-LINK_TL-WN722N_v2

I suggest contacting the vendor for confirmation.

Kind regards,

--
Ben Caradoc-Davies <ben@transient.nz>
Director