No sound/audio

Hi all,

I get no sound. After reinstalling Stretch a couple of months ago, the computer is silent. Well, not completely, because these warning beeps at end of line etc.. are coming out. Normally I have all those disabled, but for testing this is established, so I am quite sure the audio card is OK.

The computer is a Hewlett Packard laptop model HP Pavilion dv4-1199eo.

Inxi -A presents this information:
Audio:     Card Intel 82801I (ICH9 Family) HD Audio Controller
           driver: snd_hda_intel
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.9.0-6-amd64

After a reboot I can find among other things this information in /var/log/syslog:

	systemd[1]: Starting Save/Restore Sound Card State...

and

kernel: [ 14.190720] input: PC Speaker as /devices/platform/pcspkr/input/input18 kernel: [ 14.201142] input: HDA Digital PCBeep as /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1b.0/sound/card0/input14 kernel: [ 14.206632] input: HDA Intel Dock Mic as /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1b.0/sound/card0/input15 kernel: [ 14.206730] input: HDA Intel Mic as /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1b.0/sound/card0/input16 kernel: [ 14.206817] input: HDA Intel Front Headphone as /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1b.0/sound/card0/input17

so I think I can feel assured the system has contact with the audio card.

I have removed two fields before each line containing date and computer name.

After the install of stretch I did remove the Pulsaudio package and instead installed the Jack package, this recommended by the Ardour team. Ardour is a program very important for my use of the computer, so I really want that program to work fine. I have done this measure before in the jessie era, so I know it works. Trying to make a connection in the QjackCtl program fails, and I can read the following message. Line 3 and 11 is partly in Swedish, meaning that the file or directory does not exist, but no information is given about which file or which directory, so I feel a bit lost:

23:16:56.103 Statistics reset.
23:16:56.106 ALSA connection change.
Cannot connect to server socket err = Filen eller katalogen finns inte
Cannot connect to server request channel
jack server is not running or cannot be started
JackShmReadWritePtr::~JackShmReadWritePtr - Init not done for 4294967295, skipping unlock JackShmReadWritePtr::~JackShmReadWritePtr - Init not done for 4294967295, skipping unlock
23:16:56.230 ALSA connection graph change.
23:17:00.491 JACK is starting...
23:17:00.491 /usr/bin/jackd -v -dalsa -dhw:0 -r48000 -p1024 -n2 -m -H -M -P
Cannot connect to server socket err = Filen eller katalogen finns inte
Cannot connect to server request channel
jack server is not running or cannot be started
JackShmReadWritePtr::~JackShmReadWritePtr - Init not done for 4294967295, skipping unlock JackShmReadWritePtr::~JackShmReadWritePtr - Init not done for 4294967295, skipping unlock
Cannot create RT messagebuffer thread: Operation not permitted (1)
Retrying messagebuffer thread without RT scheduling
Messagebuffer not realtime; consider enabling RT scheduling for user
no message buffer overruns
Cannot create RT messagebuffer thread: Operation not permitted (1)
Retrying messagebuffer thread without RT scheduling
Messagebuffer not realtime; consider enabling RT scheduling for user
no message buffer overruns

and a lot more. Here is the tail of the messages (188 lines removed):

Jack: JackSocketServerChannel::Execute : fPollTable i = 1 fd = 8
Jack: JackSocketServerChannel::Execute : fPollTable i = 2 fd = 9
Jack: JackSocketServerChannel::Execute : fPollTable i = 1 fd = 8
Jack: JackSocketServerChannel::Execute : fPollTable i = 2 fd = 9
23:17:29.074 ALSA connection change.
[...]

Since I am not very skilled in the sound technology I have previously, when I carried out this operation, randomly installed every package I found, which seemed to deal with sound until it all worked, but this time my intention is to do the job in a more deliberate way.

So is there anyone who can give hints about what I have missed so far?

Kaj