Re: Debian testing - release number

On Thu, 5 Jul 2018 10:09:36 +0000 (UTC)
Curt <curty@free.fr> wrote:

> The problem I'm looking at is that the Debian testing/unstable
> releases do not have a version number and are not going to be
> receiving one any time soon (the tradition of not according a number
> to these two releases being of the utmost venerability).

How can they? They are never released, and unstable receives new
software, sometimes new software *versions*, minute by minute. I don't
know how much new code unstable gets per day, but my workstation
installation typically downloads something of the order of 50MB,
usually dozens of packages. Testing is a bit more stable, but
outside the freeze, basically follows unstable with about ten days'
delay for a given package. In that context, what can 'release number'
mean? It can only make sense for stable.

--
Joe