Re: Strange LAN IP Address.

On Tue, 3 Jul 2018, at 07:19, john doe wrote:

> You are correct in the case of an ADSL "router".
>
> Sadly, in the case of my European ISP I'm stuck with what they give me!
> I must say that I've never investigated how I could use my own cable
> modem and understand the kind of restriction they're using to prevent me
> from doing that!!! :)

I've a Virgin Media cable connection in the UK.  They supply a combined
modem/router.    But the unit can be put into modem-only mode, and
used with a different router.

So far as I remember the first of these combined things that I received
came with only very basic instructions that did not mention the way to
do this - it was Virgin's own technical support people who told me how
to do it.    Subsequent improved models have come with instructions
that mentioned the possibility.

--
Jeremy Nicoll - my opinions are my own.