Re: new install of amd64, 9-4 from iso #1

On 06/10/18 21:35, Gene Heskett wrote:
On Monday 11 June 2018 00:16:39 David Christensen wrote:

On 06/10/18 13:44, Gene Heskett wrote:
Greetings all;

I have the dvd written, and a new 2T drive currently occupying the
/dev/sdc slot.

What I want, since the drive has been partitioned to /boot, /home,
/, and swap, is 1; for this install to not touch any other drive
currently mounted, and 2; use the partitions I've already setup on
this new drive without arguing with me.

and 3: to  treat the grub install as if there are no other drives
hooked up. I don't need grub to fill half the boot screen with data
from the other drives.

How do I best achieve that?

Disconnect all drives except the new 2 TB drive and your optical
drive, then boot the installer.  That should solve all three of your
requirements.

I thought about that some more, and the GRUB part could get messy if you reconnect additional drives with bootable partitions and do a kernel, etc., upgrade that runs GRUB. I avoid that problem by having only one system drive installed at a a time.

I put mobile racks in all my desktop and server cases, and use small
(16~80 GB) HDD's/SSD's for boot, swap, and root.  When I want a
different OS, I power down, swap system drives, and boot.

(I keep the local contents of my home directory minimal, put the
majority of my data into a personal share on my file server, and mount
that into my home directory.)

I can see I need to watch the sales for a good price on 60 to 100 gig
SSD's. Is there a longer lasting version coming down the line that I
should be aware of?

I starting buying Intel 520 Series SSD's several years ago. They are well matched to my Intel DQ67SWR/ Intel Core i7-2600S machine (benchmark over 500 MB/s, depending). The last time I checked them with the Intel SSD Toolbox, they showed very little wear (99%+ life available?).

For my older P4 machines, I bought used SAMSUNG SSD UM410 Series 2.5" 16GB drives for $10~15 each. eBay doesn't seem to have that exact model now, but there are other 16 GB SSD's to choose from.

I think most any respectable SSD deployed as a Linux system drive is going to outlast the computer it is installed in.

I bought a 2015 MacBook Pro a few months back. I has a 256 GB SSD with an Apple-proprietary four-lane PCIe 3.0 interface (8.0 GT/s, 31.5 Gbit/s). Very impressive performance. The PC equivalent would seem to be a motherboard and drive with a NVMe PCIe M.2 interface or with a PCIe 3.0 4x, 8x, or 16x interface.

PCIe 3D XPoint drives (Intel Optane) seem to be the current king of the mountain.

David