Re: Not power off after shutdown in Jessie

On 06/10/2018 06:33 PM, The Wanderer wrote:

On 2018-05-31 at 02:01, Miroslav Skoric wrote:

After upgrading from Wheezy LTS to Jessie, one of my machines having 512
MB RAM, does not power off when it reached target shutdown. It seems
some old issue/bug with systemd or else. In fact, everything closes down
properly except it does not unmount the following:

/run/user/1000
/run/user/106
/var
/home
/tmp

How can you tell that these are still mounted?

Because the machine kept reporting 'failed unmount' for these above, something like this:

umounting /run/user/1000
failed to umount /run/user/1000
umounting /run/user/106
failed to umount /run/user/106

(Sorry I forgot the exact syntax of how the machine reported that, because it was last week. But it finally started to poweroff properly after I removed all clamav -related stuff from that machine. In fact, I noticed that all those clam* things still belonged to Wheezy, being in versions ...deb7u1 or so, after I upgraded Wheezy LTS to Jessie.)

Could it be a kernel/BIOS incompatibility? (I.e., probably something to
do with ACPI tables.)

I don't know ... I got that machine some 6-7 years ago, as a second-hand then. So it is probably some 10+ year old at least.

The only fix I've found for that problem, aside from reverting to the
older kernel, is to upgrade the BIOS on the affected computers. Some of
them had BIOS versions dating back to at least 2012, if not 2009;
bringing them up to the manufacturer's latest BIOS release for that
model got the new environments to shut down and reboot normally.

I see. But as I said, removing some packages returned the box to normal shutdown.

Furthermore, what wondered me even more is that another *older* box I have here (dated back to the beginning of the previous decade!), that runs with only 224MB RAM on Celeron 400MHz, did not experience failure in poweroff at all.