Re: /etc/localtime and How it Works

Greg Wooledge <wooledg@eeg.ccf.org> writes:
> wooledg:~$ zdump -v America/New_York | wc
>    2324   37136  229862

My mistake was that I used cd to get to
/usr/share/zoneinfo/America and then I did zdump -v New_York and
it didn't complain at all but printed out just the 4 lines that
made me think it was processing the file.  It's not but this is
probably a lead-in and lead-out that brackets the interpretation
of the binary data in the file.

	giving zdump the America/New_York path produced output
that does, in fact, look just like America/Chicago except for the
things one would expect to be different such as the UTC offsets.

also, another poster mentioned about the information being based
on political decisions.  A perfect example just occurred in the
last few weeks in which the DPRK and ROK agreed to use the same
time zone again.  The difference had been 1800 seconds or 30
minutes.

	Thanks.

Martin McCormick