Re: The Internet locks up Buster

On 6 June 2018 at 15:26,  <debian-user-digest-request@lists.debian.org> wrote:
>         Hi.
>
> On Tue, Jun 05, 2018 at 09:25:25PM -0400, Borden Rhodes wrote:
>> During the freeze, hard drive activity goes through the roof. Yes, my
>> hard drive is fine and works normally when doing anything else. I also
>> don't get these lockups when browsing in Windows.
>
> That looks like an OOM-killer that's desperately trying to free some RAM.
> Or good old 12309 bug.
>
> Please share the contents of /var/log/kern.log that correspond to the
> time of the problem. Any single one will do.
>
> Reco

Thank you very much for following up, Reco. I had no difficulty
triggering a hard drive thrash (thank you, Linotype!), and the problem
is definitely memory-related. I managed to stabilise my system by
increasing the swap partition. Unfortunately, the hard drive didn't
stop thrashing and after an hour I gave up and hard-powered off. I
did, however, save this kernel log from 20 minutes into the OOM
https://paste.debian.net/1028268/ (link's good until 9 June)

So, as I think you suggested, it seems that OOM-killer isn't getting
in quickly enough to kill a program and/or not working correctly.

Suggestions?