Re: self identifying computer

On 2018-06-05 07:57, john doe wrote:
On 6/5/2018 12:56 AM, mick crane wrote:
I changed the domain name for couple of home computers from "local" to "home"
one of them is win 10 PC.
I have ipfire box doing hopefully firewall and DNS and so while I changed domain I let all get address from its DHCP and gave them fixed leases.
I have 2 debian PCs
I try to find IP address of a cheap IP cctv camera I just bought with no instructions.
I do "nmap -sn 10.0.0.0/16" to see if camera shows up
oddly finds PCs but gets "I'm here" from the windows PC but on the old IP address I had previously given it in windows networking thingamyjig.

any idea where this identification might be hanging about ?
everything works but it just doesn't look very tidy.

I should point out I don't really know what I'm doing.

Welcome to the club, we've all been there!!! :)

You should look on the device on which you change the TLDS (local >
home) for the dhcp leases and the log.
dear all,

I hold my hand up there was an entry in "hosts" GUI of ipfire PC about the old domain/ipaddress of windows PC but I swear I cleared out ipfire /etc/hosts so I dunno where that came from.

I think it might be something to do with arp cache on all the PCs  going
"I know about that"
Still no funny entries in nmap results now except windows PC doesn't show up at all but guess that is windows firewalling.

regards the CCTV camera is another thing. It's there but is not streaming on the ethernet, just the WIFI and appears to connect to cloud servers ( I'll leave that for another day ). my suspicion is that the Chinese are selling these off cheap to have a peek at European domestic habits.

mick

--
Key ID    4BFEBB31