Re: UEFI/"BIOS" booting, was Re: USB Install Fails, Complains about CD-ROM

Pascal Hambourg wrote:
> I agree with the author. If you want to keep the existing EFI Windows
> installation and have a convenient dual boot with GRUB, you'll have to
> set up your favourite distribution to boot in EFI mode. If you want to
> repartition the disk to MSDOS format and reinstall Windows.

  all i know is that if your bios doesn't boot in
UEFI mode and you don't know anything about what this
means you can end up installing Debian without UEFI
support and then it can be rather fun to get it back.

  i managed to have grub do an install to a stable
partition without UEFI and i messed up the testing
setup i had.  it took me some while to figure out
what went wrong and how to fix it.  if you don't
really understand grub rescue commands and there
isn't a working system you can use to connect and
find help for the commands you need to enter it's
very frustrating.

  the Debian UEFI pages helped a great deal but
there were other things i had to figure out coming in
cold to UEFI.

  how to create a /boot/efi partition, what goes in
it, mounting it, clearing and putting in new efibootmgr
entries, etc.

  refind was useful and at least it does what i expect
it to do.  grub, i dislike how it assumed things i
didn't want to do.  alas, i didn't know how different
UEFI was from bios mode.

  i still haven't redone my efibootmgr entries but
refind doesn't care, i can create custom entries in
that config file and they work that is all i really
need at this point.

  songbird