Re: USB Install Fails, Complains about CD-ROM

Le 12/05/2018 à 21:38, Thomas Schmitt a écrit :

Pascal Hambourg wrote:
Why then does parted complain about a block size discrepancy ?

Because the Apple Partition Map announces to count blocks with size 2048
whereas the Linux device file announces 512 (via ioctl(BLKSSZGET) ?)).

I already know that, and this is not what I was asking.
I have never seen a hard disk or flash drive with a sector size of 2048 (only 512 or 4096) so the kernel must be correct and the Apple partition table must be wrong. Despite this, you claim that the Apple partition table is valid. Can you please explain why the wrong block size does not matter ?

It is quite a poor choice of parted to hop on the Apple Partition Map
rather than onto the MBR partition map, which will be of interest for
much more firmwares and operating systems.

Unfortunately this is not the only poor choice of parted and friends based on libparted. At least it could provide an option to force the partition table type to use, as fdisk or gdisk do.

(I should really pester debian-cd more about that inappropriate option
  -isohybrid-apm-hfsplus in the xorriso run.)

The only storage media with a bloc size of 2048 I know about are optical media such as CD and DVD. Could the Apple partition map in the image be used when booting from an optical disk on a Mac ?