Re: Chinese file name problem in xterm

On 08/05/18 21:39, Long Wind wrote:
i decide to use old font with problem
the new font a user suggests can display Chinese correctly
but it display English ugly, and most of time i use English

I use and recommend xfce4-terminal from Xfce. gnome-terminal should perform similarly. What desktop environment do you use?

With a UTF-8 locale, ext4 filesystem (UTF-8 filenames), and the fonts-noto package, I can in an xfce4-terminal terminal instance:

touch English
touch 中文

tmp$ ls -al
total 16
drwxrwx---  2 ben ben  4096 May  9 10:04 ./
drwx------ 14 ben ben 12288 May  9 10:00 ../
-rw-rw----  1 ben ben     0 May  9 10:01 English
-rw-rw----  1 ben ben     0 May  9 10:04 中文
tmp$

Screenshot attached.

is that a bug? it still puzzle me
Chinese characters that aren't correctly displayed are common ones
so common that if any program can display Chinese it should be able to display them
why it can display some while it fail to display other?

Traditional or simplified Chinese? (I do not speak or read Chinese, but I know there is a difference, and can use Google Translate.)

Your font likely has incomplete Unicode coverage. fonts-noto provides large coverage for CJK code points:
https://packages.debian.org/sid/fonts-noto
https://packages.debian.org/sid/fonts-noto-cjk

If your Chinese text is displayed properly in Firefox, you might already have this font installed.

i want to be perfect, but i'm in poor health, can't bother such small thing
maybe next debian distro will not have such problem

Debian bugs are fixed only when users and developers care about them. What better health tonic than exercise, sunshine, and fixing Debian bugs?

Kind regards,

--
Ben Caradoc-Davies <ben@transient.nz>
Director