Re: A long rant on Debian 9

On 5/8/18, Curt <curty@free.fr> wrote:
> On 2018-05-07, Dan Norton <dnorton@mindspring.com> wrote:
>>>

>> Unfortunately, that does not work. The Boot Screen does not look like
>> "Figure 4.1. Boot screen" and more to the point, tab has no effect. One
>> can move selection up or down, enter to select, E to edit, or C for
>> a GRUB command line. Boot a Debian 9.4 netinst iso and you'll see
>> what I mean.
>>

> All right.
>
> I downloaded 'debian-9.4.0-amd64-netinst.iso' and booted it in kvm and
> *it does work* as advertised here, so I don't know what accounts for
> your difficulty, Dan.
>
> I see, once the installer boots, the following:
>
>  Debian GNU/linux installer boot menu
>
>  Graphical install
>  Install
>  Advanced options
>  Help
>  Install with speech synthesis
>
> When I tab on either "Graphical install" or "Install", I get an editable
> kernel command line. If I hit "escape" I get the boot prompt:
>
>  boot:

Ok, that's really weird, then. What factor could possibly cause that
kind of difference at that very early point in the use of Debian?

Only thing my poor brain can come up with is integrity of the
downloaded ISO file. That would include wondering what mirror provided
the download.... and was the [checksum] step run to make sure the file
is original and not tampered with..

This link was just shared here in last few days:

https://www.debian.org/CD/verify

This one is because it pulled up in my search just now (and might
provide something useful for new users):

https://linuxconfig.org/how-to-verify-an-authenticity-of-downloaded-debian-iso-images

That came via StackExchange:

https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/138603/how-to-verify-debian-iso-integrity

Cindy :)