Re: Distinguishing among [unmount, Safely Remove Drive, Eject]

	Hi.

On Sat, May 05, 2018 at 05:59:15PM +0100, Brad Rogers wrote:
> On Sat, 5 May 2018 11:06:25 -0500
> Richard Owlett <rowlett@cloud85.net> wrote:
>
> Hello Richard,
>
> >Why?
>
> Probably not an exhaustive list....
>
> Ever tried to eject an HD?

Yup. Did it a week ago last time, I was changing yet another NAS SATA
drive.

> (Un)mount is the only thing that makes sense here.

Actually, no. For instance, this particular PC says to me that it's
possible to remove two HDs from the running kernel (powering down it
effectively):

$ ls -al /sys/block/sd*/device/delete
--w------- 1 root root 4096 May  5 21:00 /sys/block/sda/device/delete
--w------- 1 root root 4096 May  5 21:00 /sys/block/sdb/device/delete

But, considering *who* designed DE in question, it may be for the best
that users are oblivious about this particular feature ;).

> Safely Remove is to ensure writes to flash drives etc. are actually
> completed as opposed to being in progress from buffers.  Only then is it
> safe to remove the memory card.

In other words, perform umount(2). How is it different from Unmount is
anyone's guess.

Reco