Re: Help needed with home network configuration

David Wright wrote:
> On Fri 16 Mar 2018 at 13:09:00 (-0000), Dan Purgert wrote:
>> David Wright wrote:
>> >
>> > --1yeeQ81UyVL57Vl7

>> > I think the router I've been using for the last few years is one.
>> > Although the User Manual from May 2013¹ has a brief section on
>> > bridging, the June 2014² revision is missing that part. Both have
>> > a "Wireless Repeating" link on the figure for Advanced Wireless
>> > Settings, but the link is not present in the actual configuration
>> > screen on the device.
>>
>> That's probably talking about "WDS bridging", not what Don is talking
>> about.  That's an entirely different can of worms.
>
> That's what I don't want, if it means the router-router connection
> is wireless because (a) we have the CAT5 cable available and
> (b) poor wireless transmission between the two areas is the problem
> I'm trying to solve.

Why not scrap "router 2" (on the right), and use a switch?  If you need
wifi, throw in a Ubiquiti UAP-AC-LITE with the switch, and call it a
day.

If it's a bit of "well, I have this stuff already; and can't really
afford new stuff ..."

(1) TURN OFF all the "all-in-one router" features -- DNS, DHCP, etc.
(2) Set the "LAN" address of Router2 (right router) to something in the
network provided by Router1 -- e.g. 192.168.0.2
(3) Plug the cat5 cable from Router1 into LAN1 of Router2, IGNORE the
"WAN" port.
(4) If you have two different WiFi SSIDs, rename Router2 to the same
SSID as Router1 (Password too).

I think I got the other bits from below up here as well ...

--
|_|O|_| Registered Linux user #585947