Re: Help needed with home network configuration

On Wednesday 14 March 2018 22:24:26 David Wright wrote:

> On Fri 09 Mar 2018 at 12:31:35 (-0500), Gene Heskett wrote:
> > On Friday 09 March 2018 10:18:23 Reco wrote:
> > > 	Hi.

> > > A suboptimal idea IMO. These Broadcom chipsets are only good for
> > > video output, their 100Mbps "Ethernet" is actually hardwired to
> > > USB, and their WiFi is a PITA (I used Raspberry Pi3 as WiFi AP for
> > > half a year. Never again). They make good SPI programmers though.
> > >
> > > If you need a good Debian-friendly router, I suggest buying
> > > Linksys ACM 1200, 1900 or 3200.
> >
> > I will also highly recommend the higher end Buffalo's. I have a $70
> > mail order Netfinity, now quite a few years old, reprogrammed with
> > the real dd-wrt. It has bounced every attack now for around 8 years.
> > And I mean every. I do not have its radio enabled unless my boys are
> > on site with their smartphones. And its not bridged to my local net
> > anyway, only to the internet.
>
> When you reprogram routers with dd-wrt, does that allow it to do, say,
> wired bridging even though the manufacturer's formware doesn't allow
> for that? Or is wired bridging something that requires certain
> hardware inside the box? What's your bridging topology? I though you
> might have an article on your website… :)

With dd-wrt, port forwarding with NAT can be done, a very limited
bridging, which is how you see my web site. Its actually this machine.

As for the wireless, I only have it bridged to the WAN side of the
network, but I'm pretty sure it can be bridged in either or both
directions. So this machine, nor any of the others on my home net are
not visible to the wireless, only the internet can be used. I don't
recall how I do it ATM, because 99% of the time the radio is disabled.
If I enable it, one of the neighbors auto connects and can use 80 GB a
month w/o giving me a clue unless I am logged into the router annd see
the connection lease. So I only enable the radio when my boys are in
town.  Sorry I can't be more specific but its been yonks since I've
programmed it.

--
Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)