Re: Broken kernel?

On Monday 12 March 2018 05:20:07 floris wrote:

> Tom Furie schreef op 2018-03-12 09:41:
> > On Mon, Mar 12, 2018 at 04:34:56AM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> >> I just happen to have 2 machines on my home network that are Intel
> >> D525MW
> >> motherboards, with dual core intel atom 1.8 GHz cpu's. They run
> >> flawlessly from powerbump to powerbump, on an rtai patched but now
> >> elderly kernel, a kernel that says its for an i686-pae. Not an
> >> AMD64.
> >
> > Yes, all 64-bit x86 compatible CPUs are also 32-bit compatible.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Tom
>
> Intel says the Intel Atom CPU N2600 @ 1.60GHz is 64bit[1]. The am64
> kernel is the right one.
>
> [1]https://ark.intel.com/products/58916/Intel-Atom-Processor-N2600-1M-
>Cache-1_6-GHz ---
> Floris
Call off the dogs, you and several other are correct, and I should not be
posting bad info at 3 or 4 am when the only reason I'm up at all is to
take the recyclables to the curb. Its just that I've been running the 32
bit versions so well for more than half a decade I was convinced that
was the way to fly.

But does this not leave the OP scratching his head, wondering why his
machine won't boot? So we are back to the starting square and I'm out of
ammo. At this point I'd run memtest86 long enough, at least overnight,
to verify its not bad memory, and if it is, reseat the lappy style dimm,
they are getting old enough that if the air is bad, some contact
exercise might be in order. Mine never get turned off except for power
failures, so thermal stress in the atoms mounting has not stuck up a
hand yet. For those that are shut down, thermal cycling might begin to
be a problem.

I'm going back to bed, where anyone my age ought to be this time of the
morning since he's busy building a wheelchair ramp so I can bring my xyl
home with a busted osteoporosis riddled leg. If I ever find the guy that
called these the golden years, I'd like to see where the gold is in his
house.

--
Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)