Re: Broken kernel?

On Monday 12 March 2018 02:54:49 Tom Furie wrote:

> On Sun, Mar 11, 2018 at 11:42:44PM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > AMD64 would be like its built for an AMD phenom or newer. You want a
> > kernel built for an intel cpu.
>
> AMD64, in the context of package naming, is for any 64-bit x86
> compatible CPU.
>
> Cheers,
> Tom

I just happen to have 2 machines on my home network that are Intel D525MW
motherboards, with dual core intel atom 1.8 GHz cpu's. They run
flawlessly from powerbump to powerbump, on an rtai patched but now
elderly kernel, a kernel that says its for an i686-pae. Not an AMD64.

gene@shop:~$ uname -r
3.4-9-rtai-686-pae

gene@lathe:~$ uname -r
3.4-9-rtai-686-pae

This kernel is in fact not a pae kernel, because the rtai patches disable
that, we found that out after the fact, but those 2 machines only have
2GB of dram, so the lack of pae is moot. Enabling pae on those wrecks
the context switching latency anyway. And that is far more important for
what they are doing (running linuxcnc) than anything else they may be
asked to do. Yes, they are also 32 bit kernels, again because the
context switch time for a 32 bit kernel is 1/2 the context switching
time for a full 64 bit kernel. So its possible we may be compareing
apples to oranges. What is for sure is that this mobo is the fastest
mobo ever to come out of silicon valley for running linuxcnc, by a
factor of at least 2/1 over the next best. I would have several more of
them if Intel hadn't disco'd it about the time it was discovered by the
linuxcnc people.

--
Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)