Re: Broken kernel?

On Sunday, March 11, 2018 7:47:13 PM -03 Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Sunday 11 March 2018 19:36:37 John ff wrote:
> > i have an Intel Atom CPU N2600 @ 1.60GHz that I fairly recently
> > upgraded from Whezzy to Jessie, but I cannot boot the kernel(s) that
> > came with Jessie.
> >
> > All is OK with vmlinuz-3.2.0-4-amd64, but both 3.16.0-4-amd64 and
> > 3.16.0-5-amd64 fail to load. When equipped with a screen I see it
> > says Loading .. but it does not complete with no disk activity. The
> > 3.2.0-4-amd64 kernel gives the same loading message followed shortly
> > by saying the /dev/sda2 disk partition is clean and it continues to
> > boot. Sorry I cannot remember the exact words after "Loading" but this
> > m/c usually runs headless as my firewall and server.
> >
> > I am looking for any clues as how to continue the upgrade to Stretch.
> >
> > ==John ffitch
> >

> > ⁣Sent from Blue ​
>
> First and obvious question: Its an intel atom, so why are you trying to
> load and exec a kernel that was built to run on an amd64?
because that would be the right kernel to load?

This might be related:
Debian Bug report logs - #794410
debian-installer: Installer hangs during 'select and install software'
Otherwise I didn't find any similar scenarios with Jessie.
At this point I'm afraid you maneuvered yourself into a corner and you better
install Debian Stretch from scratch. This may save time instead of trying to
figure out what is wrong, fixing and following the upgrade-path further.
You might want to try a live-DVD (put on a USB-stick) first but then don't
install from the live-os but use netinstall instead.
Booting the live-os will give you the opportunity to save data and config files
before starting the install from scratch.
All the best
Eike
--
Eike Lantzsch ZP6CGE