Re: update bios from debian

On 03/07/2018 10:37 PM, emetib wrote:
> has anyone tried to update their bios from debian or linux in general?
>
> i've looked at these pages ->
> https://wiki.debian.org/FlashBIOS
> https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/downloads/DS038945
>
> and have downloaded the packages that they say to get, and have also downloaded the new bios from lenovo's website.
>
> don't really want to turn my laptop into a brick, so i'm curious if anyone has done this before, and if so anything that i should worry, not worry about?
>
> the lenovo site say to just click on the .exe, yet i don't know if it needs windows to do the install or not.
>
> any thoughts?
> thanks.
> em

I looked at the Lenovo support site and saw no evidence of a
bootable BIOS update CD for the G405 and G505.

For the Lenovo systems I've seen before those images are
available alongside the Windows executable (.exe) updater that
you've downloaded. The .exe will not work from within Linux, and
you don't want to try using it from within WINE.

You should ask Lenovo if they can supply the bootable BIOS
update CD.

Here's a quote from the Lenovo site regarding the BIOS Update
CDs available for Thinkpad laptops:

The BIOS Update CD can boot the computer disregarding the
operating systems and update the UEFI BIOS (including system
program and Embedded Controller program) stored in the ThinkPad
computer to fix problems, add new functions, or expand functions
as noted below.

I think that's the type of BIOS / UEFI updater you want. You can
use such an image by burning it to CD and booting from the CD,
or you can use information from one of the many locations online
like

https://workaround.org/article/updating-the-bios-on-lenovo-laptops-from-linux-using-a-usb-flash-stick/

to create and use a bootable usb flash drive as the basis for
updating the system.

I'm concerned that Lenovo doesn't seem to make the update CD
image for the G405/G505. Do they only provide them for
Thinkpads? If so, not cool.

Hope you find a solution.

JP