Re: gnats user

On 07/03/2018 11:46, Reco wrote:
	Hi.

On Wed, Mar 07, 2018 at 05:57:36AM +0000, Adam Weremczuk wrote:
Thanks, a useful read.
But all it says regarding gnats is "." :)

Nothing's perfect ☺. I suggest thinking about it this way:

Along with other uid<100 users, 'gnats' is there for a long time,
nobody's sure what will break if it's removed from passwd(5), and it's
not that someone will use uid=41 for anything else.

Reco

A quick "find" on a Sid system for -user gnats and -gid 41 brings back only one result : /var/spool/cron/crontabs/gnats

dpkg -S knows nothing of this file, which incidentally dates back to 2012 and has no actual code in it. apt-file search knows nothing about it either. So I went ahead and removed user gnats and group 41, trashed the lone empty file, and nothing breaks so far. If I ever install a package that needs this group it will be recreated by a post-install script anyway. If something complains in the logs I'll recreate it, no big deal.
Rinse and repeat for every unwanted group/user, just keep backups ;-)