Re: (solved) Re: wireless fail after stretch installation

On Tue, 6 Mar 2018, Brian wrote:

> On Tue 06 Mar 2018 at 15:01:03 +0000, Ian Jackson wrote:
>
> > Brian writes ("Re: (solved) Re: wireless fail after stretch installation"):
> > > The plain and simple fact is that a user who installs over a wireless
> > > link and does not have network-manager does not have any connectivity
> > > to the internet after first boot. Long Wind solved the issue by taking
> > > the advice given and Charlie S used his initiative and knowledge to
> > > devise an /e/n/i file which replaced the one the installer had wiped
> > > out.
> > >
> > > This has been going on since Debian 7.0.0 and is not the first time the
> > > issue has arisen here. Debian must be the only OS which deliberately
> > > removes connectivity present during installation.
> >
> > Can someone point me to the bug report about this ?
> >
> > Ian.
>
> #694068, #696755, #727740 and #777439.
>
> --
> Brian.

I like the idea of improving the installer, or debian itself in any way.
I'd hate to see the bug tracker turned into a discussion forum though.

I think the idea needs to be talked over a little better, because using
e/n/i for wireless by default after first boot has implications if the
user (who is clueless) later installs a desktop environment.

Let's not dumb things down too much, network config is something people
need to understand if they are booting to cli, IMO.

Thanks,
bw