Re: Does bash have a tool ?

On 03/04/2018 10:02 AM, rhkramer@gmail.com wrote:
On Sunday, March 04, 2018 10:26:51 AM Richard Owlett wrote:
First I need to eliminate the irrelevant text between "KEY2" of the
straight forard to do in BASIC.

But is there an already tested function for that?

Well, I would tend to use awk, sed, or perl, or even a "decent" text editor
(or word processor) with decent support for regular expressions in the search
and replace function.  Multiline regexes will be helpful, at the moment I
don't remember if they are supported in kate / kwrite.

I have done stuff like this in nedit, even saving a series of search and
replace functions as, essentially, a macro / script (I forget what nedit calls
it).

If you expect to do this often, I would think that developing a perl script
would be worth the effort.

I don't have any background in Perl and the last formal course in programming was in the 60's.

However awk and/or sed may be what I'm looking for and are well documented. Your description of nedit is interesting. I'll investigate. I'm on my way out at the moment.

Thank you.