Re: Origin of /var/run contents

On Saturday 03 March 2018 11:14:34 Jonathan de Boyne Pollard wrote:

> Gene Heskett:
> > Didn't anyone think of the stuff that runs as a user?
>
> They did.  They gave you a /run/user/$UID directory owned by you, and
> an XDG_RUNTIME_DIR environment variable whose value points to it that
> you use so that its location is configurable.  They also gave you a
> manual entry.
>
> *
> https://freedesktop.org/software/systemd/man/file-hierarchy.html#Runti
>me%20Data
>
> *
> https://manpages.debian.org/wheezy/systemd/file-hierarchy.7.en.html#RU
>NTIME_DATA
>
> * https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/162900/
>
> * http://jdebp.eu./Softwares/nosh/guide/gazetteer.html#user-runtime
>
> * http://refspecs.linuxfoundation.org/FHS_3.0/fhs/ch03s15.html
>
> * https://wiki.debian.org/ReleaseGoals/RunDirectory
>
> * https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=635131
>
> *
> https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-us/red_hat_enterprise_linux
>/7/html/migration_planning_guide/sect-red_hat_enterprise_linux-migratio
>n_planning_guide-file_system_layout#sect-Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux-Migra
>tion_Planning_Guide-File_System_Layout-Changes_to_the_run_directory

I don't believe it was documented, or even existed at the time I moved my
stuff. This machine, and 3 others here, running linuxcnc, are still
wheezy. One experimental install on a pi is running jessie. And I've not
had that problem with jessie. So its possible we could both be right.
One stretch install on an arm64, not doing anything of note except
building rt kernels is also working well.

--
Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)