DIY FOSS firewall/ router

On 03/01/18 07:23, John wrote:
> Slightly different issue but I am part way through an upgrade from
> Whezzy to Stretch.  After the upgrade to Jessie my (headless) computer
> failed to boot.  After a struggle getting keyboard and screen it
> stalled after loading the kernel, probably a broken initrd file
>
> It booted OK with  the last Whezzy kernel but I am afraid to try to
> upgrade to Stretch with this suspect system.  Problem is this machine
> is the interface between the LAN and the Internet so without it things
> are difficult
> ==John ffitch

I built and ran a do-it-yourself Debian firewall/ router back in the day, learned iptables (or whatever), etc.. It worked, but I knew I was no expert and worried about security.

Then I discovered purpose-built FOSS firewall/ router distributions:

1. I found IPCop to be the easiest to install, configure, and administer. Unfortunately, the web site is down at the moment.

2.  I found pfsense to be the most sophisticated:

https://www.pfsense.org/

David