Re: Some tasks very slow after upgrade from Jessie to Stretch

Curt <curty@free.fr> wrote:
> On 2018-03-01, deloptes <deloptes@gmail.com> wrote:
>> David Christensen wrote:

>>> So, now I do the latter.  This is facilitated by, and integrated
>>> into, my backup/ restore, archive, and imaging processes.  I have
>>> confidence in the results.
>>
>> I have been updating regularly wheezy -> jessie -> stretch
>>
>> I never experienced any problem

> Me neither and what he posits as another data point in support of his
> opinion, isn't.

Debian in-place upgrades just work. My personal systems have been
upgraded and never reinstalled, even through several hardware up- and
sidegrades, since 1999. I also am very brave and run Unstable with daily
upgrades, so the in-place-upgrade routine is excercised very very often
on those systems.

And the systems I am responsible for at work are also mostly upgraded
and not reinstalled.

Of course the smoothness of the upgrade depends on the amount of
packages installed, the configuration of the packages and the system as
a whole.

In my experience things like upgrading Apache with many VHosts can be
quite painful and labor intensive if you don't use a templating system.
The change from Apache2.2 in Wheezy to Apache2.4 in Jessie is such a
case.

Also if you bastardized the installation before and went against the way
the distribution does something, your experience during the upgrade will
be worse. But this is true for every Linux distribution, not Debian
alone.

So no, an in-place-upgrade is definately *not* an excercise in futility.
Only if you did something very wrong before this will be your
impression.

Grüße,
Sven

--