Re: Unable to get the temp for one disk in Stretch

Hi, again.

On 08/01/18 10:28, Daniel Bareiro wrote:

>>> I recently updated my firewall from Jessie to Stretch and I realized
>>> that the check_lm_sensors plugin was apparently not working because it
>>> was not possible to get the temperature of one of the disks:
>>>
>>> # /usr/lib/nagios/plugins/check_lm_sensors --list
>>> LM_SENSORS UNKNOWN - Error while executing /usr/sbin/hddtemp -n /dev/sdb
>>>
>>> These are two disks which form several MD arrays.
>>>
>>> # /usr/sbin/hddtemp -n /dev/sda
>>> 44
>>>
>>> # /usr/sbin/hddtemp -n /dev/sdb
>>> WARNING: Drive /dev/sdb doesn't seem to have a temperature sensor.
>>> WARNING: This doesn't mean it hasn't got one.
>>> WARNING: If you are sure it has one, please contact me
>>> (hddtemp@guzu.net).
>>> WARNING: See --help, --debug and --drivebase options.
>>> /dev/sdb: WDC WD5000AAKX-60U6AA0:  no sensor

>> It *might* be that the drive database doesn't recognise the drive (it'd
>> be odd for the database to forget about a drive, but accidents happen).
>>
>> Try running "sudo /usr/sbin/update-smart-drivedb" and check again.

> Thanks for your reply and your time.
>
> It seems that this file is not available:
>
> -------------------------------
> root@alderamin:~# /usr/sbin/update-smart-drivedb
> bash: /usr/sbin/update-smart-drivedb: No existe el fichero o el directorio
> -------------------------------
>
> I looked for it in another path but I did not find it.
>
> The strange thing is the man page does exist.
>
> Can someone with Stretch please confirm?

I found this in the smartmontools package documentation:

root@alderamin:/usr/share/doc/smartmontools# zcat NEWS.Debian.gz
smartmontools (6.4+svn4214-1) unstable; urgency=medium

  Previous versions of the smartmontools package included a tool
  update-smart-drivedb which downloaded updated drive definitions
  from the smartmontools website and stored them at

      /var/lib/smartmontools/drivedb/drivedb.h

  This tool did not download the definitions in a secure manner and
  so the feature has been removed in this version.  Future drive DB
  updates will be propagated via normal Debian package updates,
  including backports.

  If you already have a drivedb.h file at that location, smartctl
  will continue to use it.

 -- Jonathan Dowland <jmtd@debian.org>  Mon, 01 Feb 2016 21:19:47 +0000
(...)

The version available in Stretch for smartmontools is 6.5+svn4324-1.

So the update of the disk database would be done automatically when
installing the smartmontools package?

Kind regards,
Daniel