Tool to examine/modify .avi and .mov files

I often use jhead to examine EXIF headers in JPG files from my digital camera
and I also use jhead to fix EXIF time stamps in those files.

But what I'm looking for is an equivalent tool for AVI and MOV movie files
which I also get from my cameras.  Most important would be to be able to change
the time stamps in these files.

Using aptitude search I haven't found anything to do this.

Using strings -a on those files, I see usually three identical strings of the
format YYYY:MM:DD HH:MM:SS.  I could write a simple tool to overwrite these
strings with the desired time stamp, but I don't know enough about the file
formats to be sure not to corrupt the file, e.g. because of checksums or other
items in the file that need to be changed too.

Steve