Re: Time Domain Reflectometer (was Re: internet outages)

On Monday 24 December 2018 04:20:45 Joe wrote:

> On Sun, 23 Dec 2018 23:11:35 -0500
>
> Gene Heskett <gheskett@shentel.net> wrote:
> > Thats essentially what our high bandwidth scopes do today, $400 gets
> > you a 1ghz sampler with an effective bandwidth of 200 mhz. I've got
> > one, the nice thing is that because it is digital, a once a second
> > glitch in a 42 megabaud seriel data train stands out like a sore
> > thumb because its not limited to the screen writing speed of an
> > analogue scope. So its just as bright as the main signal that
> > doesn't have the glitch. The operating software is buggier than a 10
> > day old road kill in August though.
>
> Ah, Hantek (or one of its aliases). Yes. I have the bottom-end one,
> mainly for DC and audio. The triggering is worthless.

I think mine is a Gratten, and the triggering is fine once you hit the
magic twanger, but the firmware that controls it is buggier than a 10
day old road kill in August.

I have a firmware update file kit for it, but it requires a dos box with
a usb port. When was the last time you saw one of them?  Short answer is
never.

dfu on linux won't talk to it. And I've never seen a dos with usb
drivers, not even the last drdos. If anyone knows how to get past that,
I'd be a happy camper indeed. Or maybe they charge for the access key, I
see the unpacked firmware dir has an empty "key" directory. If anyone
knows how to get past that... The manual, ADS1000*****************.pdf
does very carefully NOT mention it.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)